Monday, November 3, 2008

Reading and Writing about Comcis, Part 2

After reading a few of my classmates comics, I was able to see the huge range of comics posted on the web, other then the site I visited earlier. The comic that I thought was interesting was posted by Lukas Tasker, which is a comic by Daniel Goodbrey. The reason that I this comic caught my attention is a bit strange. I would assume that the comments with all of the action or bright colors would catch my attention, but this wasn't so. This comic is very simple, the words and images, and I think that's what caught my attention. I'm not used to reading a lot of comics, and so this one was simple enough for me to comprehend without getting too intimidated.

Lukas touches on the ideas of the categories mentioned in Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, on page 71. I agree that this comic would fall into the Moment-to-Moment category, seeing as though it seems there is very little closure in this strip. It seems as though the moment caught in this comic, is over a very brief moment.

The topic I want to touch on, that Lukas hasn't mentioned about this comic is the combination of the words and images. McCloud mentions these combinations on page 153. I believe that this comic falls under the category of Word Specific. This means that the pictures in the comic illustrate to the viewer what to look at, but don't significantly add to a largely complete text. I believe that the text in this comic does more for the panel, then the picture does at all.

No comments: