Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Picturing Texts on the Web

When I hear the word 'text' I immediately think of words. After reading chapter 1 of Picturing Texts, I was able to realize that there is more to this word then just words on paper. Images, pictures, symbols, and words are all apart of the definition of the word, text. From this chapter I was able to develop a language needed to use for describing the concepts involved with the texts. These concepts include, balance, classification, comparison and contrast, description, emphasis, metaphor, narration, pattern, point of view, proportion, and unity.

I found a web page, with an image that I found interesting in relation to the concepts of Picturing Texts. The picture is called Tangerine, a photo taken by Justin Grant. First, take a look at the picture right here.

The first concept I believe this picture relates to is balance. This picture brings an equal amount of weight on each side of the photo. The necklace is a tangerine, that is hanging over one side of the eye, but is balanced out by the chain hanging on the other side of the face. This is also balanced by the shape of the necklace as well. One side is shaped like a tangerine, with a colorful, smooth surface, while the other is a silver, chain texture. This balances out the photo.

The next concept I will talk about in relation to this photo is emphasis. The face of the woman captures our attention the emphasis is towards the tangerine over the eye. After looking at the picture I, find myself being drawn towards the tangerine. The colors and the detail of the tangerine may have an affect as to the emphasis of it in the photo. The color of the tangerine is orange in the photo, which is bright, and causes the viewers eyes to be directed towards it.

I do believe that there is some sort of a pattern in this photo. I don't necessarily think it's as intense as the Chinese symbol of Yin and Yang, but I do believe there is importance to it. The color of the eyes, with the color of the lips, skin, and necklace all seem to blend together. These patterns communicate to the viewers to direct our attention to where the photographer, or author wants them to go. The color of the tangerine is the brightest, and so the photographer has emphasized this for the viewers to direct our attention towards it.

No comments: